SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) – Long lines formed hours before food distribution began in South San Francisco on Friday, showing the need in the community.
The city of South San Francisco organized a food drive at the Mills Montessori School to feed hungry families in the city.
City officials have partnered with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley and HOPE Ministries to facilitate the food distribution event.
RELATED: “Unprecedented Spike”: Alameda County Food Bank Says Needs for Assistance Is Exploding Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
Enough food was prepared for 750 families for two weeks for the trip. The city’s mayor wishes he could do more to help.
“You only realize how many people are in need when you see lines like this,” said longtime mayor of South San Francisco, Richard Garbarino. “We know you are suffering. We sympathize with you and do what we can to help you.”
RELATED: Coronavirus: Catholic Charities Open Additional Food Outlets to Meet Growing Needs in South Bay
The residents of his city, who are unemployed and have no luck, appreciate the help.
“It’s really helpful because you know we’re not working right now and we’re not getting any help,” said local resident Alex Castillo. “And that is sincerely very helpful to all churches.”
Four more food distribution events will be held in South San Francisco in May and June. Free food can be picked up from the Mills Montessori School on the second and fourth Friday of May and June from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The school is located at 1400 Hillside Blvd., South San Francisco.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours using the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos on the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates on the coronavirus outbreak in the US and worldwide
- Coronavirus Data: See the curve of COVID-19 cases bend across the Bay Area counties
- Everything you need to know about ordering shelter-in-place in the Bay Area
- Note from the coronavirus doctor: Dr. Alok Patel gives an insight into the COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus Calculator: How Much Money Should You Expect From The Coronavirus Relief Bill?
- WATCH: ABC7’s Interactive City Hall ‘Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation’
- What Renters In The Bay Area Need To Know About Rent Payments Eviction In Case Of COVID-19 Outbreak
- Learn how onsite protection and home ordering can slow the spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking Key Moments of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the San Francisco Bay Area /
- Coronavirus and the New Way of Life in the San Francisco Bay Area – COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour is going virtual as people try to be social and socially distance themselves during the COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus outbreak: this is why you should practice “social distancing”.
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during on-site coronavirus protection
- ABC7’s drive through San Francisco reveals empty streets, shops closed
- Symptoms, prevention, and preparation for a COVID-19 outbreak in the United States
- List of stores, companies that are closing due to a coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled fees, free services available in COVID-19 crisis
- Here’s how you can help with a COVID-19 pandemic
- How to Keep Learning During School Closing
- No masks, but here are 100+ products that can protect you from novel coronavirus germs
- Here’s a look at some of the worst pandemics in history, which have killed millions of people
- Asian community battles racism, xenophobia and bigotry as the world battles COVID-19
Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.