Eight restaurants in Newark were summoned after employees were caught without a mask serving customers during the first two days of Mayor Ras Baraka’s recommended 10-day lockdown, officials said on Saturday.
According to a police spokeswoman, the restaurants include both fast food and take-out restaurants.
“These companies have completely disregarded the spread of the virus,” Newark director of public safety Anthony Ambrose said in a statement. “All of the named people did not wear masks and other (personal protective equipment) while they were serving customers.”
The call for residents to seek refuge began Wednesday and runs through December 4. She follows orders from Governor Phil Murphy earlier this month to lower both indoor and outdoor gathering boundaries to help slow the spread of the coronavirus.
“Unfortunately, although we strongly support our business owners, there are still some who have refused to obey the governor’s orders,” said Ambrose. “It is our responsibility to hold these companies accountable for their actions.”
While non-essential Newark businesses must close by 8:00 p.m., major grocery stores may stay open later.
A total of 15,636 COVID-19 cases have been reported in Newark since the pandemic began in March, Essex County officials reported Saturday. That number includes 34 additional cases on Friday. In the state’s largest city, 708 deaths have been attributed to the virus.
Jeff Goldman can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @JGoldmanNJ. Find NJ.com on Facebook.
Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe to NJ.com today